These red velvet pancakes are perfect for a Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed.
Makes 6 5-inch pancakes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 0.3-ounce bottle of red food coloring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Toppings: whipped cream and strawberries
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl mix together the egg, milk, oil, food coloring, and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined.
- Lightly grease a skillet and bring to medium heat. For each pancake, pour about a 1/3 cup batter onto skillet. Cook about 2 minutes on each side.
- Top with whipped cream and strawberries.
Additional Toppings to Drizzle Over Red Velvet Pancakes
Cream cheese drizzle: Beat 2 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar. Beat in enough milk (about 3 tablespoons) to reach drizzling consistency.
Strawberry sauce: Blend 3 cups fresh or thawed frozen strawberries in a food processor. In a medium saucepan, stir together 1/3 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until thickened. Cool to room temperature.